The Elite Mechaniers - Official Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the people of MOCpages' Elite Mechaniers group.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome to the Elite Mechaniers Official Forum!
Please read the Forum Rules and obey them!
Don't be afraid to hop in the chatbox, even if no one is in there! I usually pop in if I see someone online.
If you would like a rank up, please PM an Admin and present a decent reason.
Welcome new users who have received my invitation on MOCpages.com! Please make a thread to introduce yourselves in our Elite Mechanier Convo section!
Please try to use proper grammar and punctuation while posting, as it improves both your post's quality and everyone else's forum experience.
Please respect our Moderators and Admins.
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» General Conversation #1
Roleplay Setup Emptyby Klushots 1/25/2022, 8:47 pm

» General WIPs
Roleplay Setup Emptyby Forte 11/4/2019, 8:19 pm

» Quantum Projects
Roleplay Setup Emptyby Quantum Industries 4/3/2017, 11:05 pm

» Three New Members (PLEASE READ)
Roleplay Setup Emptyby Klushots 2/18/2016, 8:46 pm

» DR's Mecha
Roleplay Setup Emptyby Quantum Industries 1/25/2016, 8:09 pm

» Our Dreams Have Come True!!!
Roleplay Setup Emptyby Klushots 8/22/2015, 11:28 am

» Thomas_Z's WIP MOCs
Roleplay Setup Emptyby Thomas_Z 8/21/2015, 7:19 am

» LDD to POV-Ray
Roleplay Setup Emptyby Forte 6/19/2015, 3:18 am

» April Fools
Roleplay Setup Emptyby RichTheWolf257 4/3/2015, 10:46 pm

» Music Appreciation Game
Roleplay Setup Emptyby Klushots 11/16/2014, 7:06 pm

» Future of the Forum
Roleplay Setup Emptyby RichTheWolf257 11/9/2014, 2:59 pm

» New Games/Gaming News
Roleplay Setup Emptyby RichTheWolf257 6/27/2014, 5:29 pm

» Where are they now?
Roleplay Setup Emptyby TF Twitch 5/27/2014, 9:35 am

» Migration to Enjin?
Roleplay Setup Emptyby Klushots 4/10/2014, 1:24 am

» Mech Tech Database
Roleplay Setup Emptyby TF Twitch 2/6/2014, 4:36 am

Top posters
RichTheWolf257
Roleplay Setup Vote_lcapRoleplay Setup Voting_barRoleplay Setup Vote_rcap 
BiO
Eroomdivad
Klushots
Ariklego
LTE the Mechanier
JakTheMad
TF Twitch
Quantum Industries
Thomas_Z
Top posting users this week
No user

Roleplay Setup

Go down 
+2
RichTheWolf257
Ariklego
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Ariklego
Engineer
Engineer
Ariklego

Roleplay Setup Empty
PostSubject: Roleplay Setup   Roleplay Setup Empty6/17/2012, 6:11 pm

Okay, let's get this roleplay in gear!

First off, does anyone have any specific ideas on things they'd like to see in the Roleplay? If not, it's likely I and anyone else helping will just go through making it however we see fit, possibly in ways that may be undesirable for others (though we'll try our best to avoid that).
Back to top Go down
RichTheWolf257
Bronze Mechanier
RichTheWolf257

Roleplay Setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roleplay Setup   Roleplay Setup Empty6/17/2012, 6:41 pm

Ariklego wrote:

First off, does anyone have any specific ideas on things they'd like to see in the Roleplay? If not, it's likely I and anyone else helping will just go through making it however we see fit, possibly in ways that may be undesirable for others (though we'll try our best to avoid that).
What we need is an interstellar resource war. ED has controll of a moon cmposed of solid Protomag. The Theihfor Belt(pronounced Thay-vor) of the Kilest Star Cluster is home to the richest "Unobtainum"Deposit in the known galaxy (a result of anomalous magnetic feild interactions between several nearby singularities)

We could each come up with some kind of unique resource within our respective territories, and fight over controll of them.

---OR---

We could fight over controll of one spesific Location with a unique, invaluable resource.

And for the sake of making the whole thing less time-consuming, Actually building your armies should be optional (but strongly encouraged for visual purposes).

Etc. and Soforth
Back to top Go down
Ariklego
Engineer
Engineer
Ariklego

Roleplay Setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roleplay Setup   Roleplay Setup Empty6/17/2012, 7:39 pm

Interstellar war? ooh, I like the sound of that. and yeah, I like the idea of each side having special resources valuable to other sides. I'm not sure having one special resource is quite as good, though, aside from having a "War for the Bridge" with large numbers of forces from multiple sides competing for a single planet.

I'm not quite sure I catch on about what you mean when referring to "building your army". do you mean like building the different troops and Mech models to use in the war? or compiling multiple vehicles into a single LDD file that composes our army? I agree on the first idea, though I think the latter has the possible problem of being too big for our computers.
Back to top Go down
RichTheWolf257
Bronze Mechanier
RichTheWolf257

Roleplay Setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roleplay Setup   Roleplay Setup Empty6/17/2012, 8:31 pm

Ariklego wrote:
I'm not quite sure I catch on about what you mean when referring to "building your army". do you mean like building the different troops and Mech models to use in the war? or compiling multiple vehicles into a single LDD file that composes our army? I agree on the first idea, though I think the latter has the possible problem of being too big for our computers.
I mean building Mechs, Tanks, etc. in LDD and compiling them into various-sized battlegroups. Players should have the choice of building their armies or simply describing them with words. And as I said, they would be Strongly encouraged to actually build their Mechs, Tanks, Ships, etc. Each faction's Army would be composed of several LDD files with a few vehicles each.

Does that clear things up?
Back to top Go down
Ariklego
Engineer
Engineer
Ariklego

Roleplay Setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roleplay Setup   Roleplay Setup Empty6/17/2012, 9:27 pm

RichTheWolf257 wrote:
Ariklego wrote:
I mean building Mechs, Tanks, etc. in LDD and compiling them into various-sized battlegroups. Players should have the choice of building their armies or simply describing them with words. And as I said, they would be Strongly encouraged to actually build their Mechs, Tanks, Ships, etc. Each faction's Army would be composed of several LDD files with a few vehicles each.

yep, that makes more sense.

Another question (and I kinda got part of my answer right there), should we restrict the Roleplay solely to Mechs, or add in other vehicles and troops, as well as things lik fighters for air battles and ships for space battles?
I personally like the idea of having other things involved as well, as long as it's still mostly kept centered on Mechs.
Back to top Go down
RichTheWolf257
Bronze Mechanier
RichTheWolf257

Roleplay Setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roleplay Setup   Roleplay Setup Empty6/17/2012, 10:06 pm

Ariklego wrote:
RichTheWolf257 wrote:
Ariklego wrote:

yep, that makes more sense.

Another question (and I kinda got part of my answer right there), should we restrict the Roleplay solely to Mechs, or add in other vehicles and troops, as well as things lik fighters for air battles and ships for space battles?
I personally like the idea of having other things involved as well, as long as it's still mostly kept centered on Mechs.
I think each faction should make their armies as diverse as they see fit. And personally, i'm all in favor of space battles. Actually, you can't have an interstellar war without space battles.
Back to top Go down
Ariklego
Engineer
Engineer
Ariklego

Roleplay Setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roleplay Setup   Roleplay Setup Empty6/17/2012, 11:54 pm

Excellent. prepare to lose. Razz (if these space battles end up being anything like the space battles back on the LMBs, I expect to dominate Razz)

Well, that sounds good.

To keep things well-organized, what do you think if we split topics into individual planets, and battles would take place in the topic that corresponded with the proper planet? we could make exceptions for a few things (like that Unobtainum asteroid belt you mentioned), but otherwise things like moons, space stations, etc. would be linked to their planet.
I think space battles could probably be kept to a low enough level of advancement that they don't move into deep space.

So, what else needs to be taken care of before we get started?
Back to top Go down
RichTheWolf257
Bronze Mechanier
RichTheWolf257

Roleplay Setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roleplay Setup   Roleplay Setup Empty6/18/2012, 12:06 am

Ariklego wrote:
Excellent. prepare to lose. Razz (if these space battles end up being anything like the space battles back on the LMBs, I expect to dominate Razz)

Well, that sounds good.

To keep things well-organized, what do you think if we split topics into individual planets, and battles would take place in the topic that corresponded with the proper planet? we could make exceptions for a few things (like that Unobtainum asteroid belt you mentioned), but otherwise things like moons, space stations, etc. would be linked to their planet.
I think space battles could probably be kept to a low enough level of advancement that they don't move into deep space.

I agree with you on all but one point; The part about space battles not moving into deep space. I think that in addition to topics for each different star system, asteroid belt, etc. there should be one set aside for deep space combat. Aside from that, there's just one last thing to figure out: Rules.

But it's after 2100hrs where I am and i need to get some sack, as it were.

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
Eroomdivad
Engineer
Engineer
Eroomdivad

Roleplay Setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roleplay Setup   Roleplay Setup Empty6/18/2012, 7:28 am

RichTheWolf257 wrote:
Ariklego wrote:

What we need is an interstellar resource war. ED has controll of a moon cmposed of solid Protomag. The Theihfor Belt(pronounced Thay-vor) of the Kilest Star Cluster is home to the richest "Unobtainum"Deposit in the known galaxy (a result of anomalous magnetic feild interactions between several nearby singularities)

We could each come up with some kind of unique resource within our respective territories, and fight over controll of them.

---OR---

We could fight over controll of one spesific Location with a unique, invaluable resource.

And for the sake of making the whole thing less time-consuming, Actually building your armies should be optional (but strongly encouraged for visual purposes).

Etc. and Soforth
Richie, I think you're better versed in eroomdivadian folklore than I am. Razz

Now, back to the point of this topic...

I reckon we go for the first option, and as you guys have said we have sub-topics for each area of the roleplay. Ie; The roleplay topic has a subforum 'Interstellar Warfare Roleplay' which then has topics like 'Leo System' (That's where Protomag is), 'Kilest Cluster' and 'Deep Space'. This would mean multiple planets would have to be put into one system (topic).
OR
If BiO doesn't mind us cluttering up his forums we could have a topic for each planet, which are sorted into systems.

I guess we'll see.
Back to top Go down
Ariklego
Engineer
Engineer
Ariklego

Roleplay Setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roleplay Setup   Roleplay Setup Empty6/18/2012, 11:22 am

RichTheWolf257 wrote:
Ariklego wrote:

Well, that sounds good.

I agree with you on all but one point; The part about space battles not moving into deep space. I think that in addition to topics for each different star system, asteroid belt, etc. there should be one set aside for deep space combat. Aside from that, there's just one last thing to figure out: Rules.

Cheers!
well, maybe. I think my main idea here is that usually it's impossible to stop a ship in deep space to do battle with it. but that might just be my Star Wars nerd side saying that, telling me that the only way to stop a ship in deep space is with an Interdictor cruiser's gravity well projectors, and that most of you guys' ships probably won't even utilize hyperspace.

however, if we had maybe a map with preassigned routes between systems and a universal method of pulling a ship out of whatever lightspeed/warp/hyperspace/slipspace/etc. it uses, I can see it working.

-as to rules, I think we should keep things as simplistic as possible.
-I'd kinda like certain values being assigned to weapons, armor, etc. so we know how much can realistically be accomplished on someone's "turn". things like maps to keep track of units' positions would also be helpful.
-we should also probably outlaw things that are ridiculously overpowered, such as antimatter warhead launchers that can fire from one planet to another and vaporize a continent. Razz
-perhaps we should have a few other limitations as well. for example, back on the LMBs we're debating the issue of orbital bombardment. ships orbiting above an undefended planet can fire down on it, and are practically invincible this way. standard practice is to counter this with a planetary energy shield. however, planetary shields prevent troops from landing, and essentially what's happened is that ground battles have nearly disappeared. there are a good many other similar possibilities that could negatively effect our roleplay that we may want to safeguard against.
-aside from these kinds of things, I think we should allow anything that can be done in real life. I mean, I've never been able to crash a warship into an enemy warship, board it with a bunch of Mechs, take command of it, and fly this ship into a local sun. that's one of the joys of Roleplaying, and I'd like to keep that versatility. Razz

ED: yep, agreed. normally I'd prefer having individual planet topics, as it can get confusing having battles for multiple planets happening in the same "star system topic", but I can understand how that could cause problems for the forum as a whole. we may need Bio's opinion on this...
Back to top Go down
BiO
The Mecherator
BiO

Location : Richie is to exclamation marks what Bio is to ginger snaps.

Roleplay Setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roleplay Setup   Roleplay Setup Empty6/18/2012, 12:21 pm

As far as multiple topics goes, I'd prefer things to be as localized as possible, meaning the fewer threads, the better. I don't have much experience with sandbox roleplays; I'm more experienced with story-based ones, though I'm open to the idea of trying something more sandbox-y.

As far as rules go, I'll have to agree the simpler is better. However, you should be careful when assigning values to something like this; numerical-based roleplays have the tendency to get over-complicated pretty quickly.

I'm looking forward to seeing what else you guys come up with. Smile
Back to top Go down
RichTheWolf257
Bronze Mechanier
RichTheWolf257

Roleplay Setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roleplay Setup   Roleplay Setup Empty6/18/2012, 12:26 pm

Ariklego wrote:
RichTheWolf257 wrote:
Ariklego wrote:

Well, that sounds good.

Cheers!
well, maybe. I think my main idea here is that usually it's impossible to stop a ship in deep space to do battle with it. but that might just be my Star Wars nerd side saying that, telling me that the only way to stop a ship in deep space is with an Interdictor cruiser's gravity well projectors, and that most of you guys' ships probably won't even utilize hyperspace.

however, if we had maybe a map with preassigned routes between systems and a universal method of pulling a ship out of whatever lightspeed/warp/hyperspace/slipspace/etc. it uses, I can see it working.

-as to rules, I think we should keep things as simplistic as possible.
-I'd kinda like certain values being assigned to weapons, armor, etc. so we know how much can realistically be accomplished on someone's "turn". things like maps to keep track of units' positions would also be helpful.
-we should also probably outlaw things that are ridiculously overpowered, such as antimatter warhead launchers that can fire from one planet to another and vaporize a continent. Razz
-perhaps we should have a few other limitations as well. for example, back on the LMBs we're debating the issue of orbital bombardment. ships orbiting above an undefended planet can fire down on it, and are practically invincible this way. standard practice is to counter this with a planetary energy shield. however, planetary shields prevent troops from landing, and essentially what's happened is that ground battles have nearly disappeared. there are a good many other similar possibilities that could negatively effect our roleplay that we may want to safeguard against.
-aside from these kinds of things, I think we should allow anything that can be done in real life. I mean, I've never been able to crash a warship into an enemy warship, board it with a bunch of Mechs, take command of it, and fly this ship into a local sun. that's one of the joys of Roleplaying, and I'd like to keep that versatility. Razz

ED: yep, agreed. normally I'd prefer having individual planet topics, as it can get confusing having battles for multiple planets happening in the same "star system topic", but I can understand how that could cause problems for the forum as a whole. we may need Bio's opinion on this...

All those rules sound okay but i think there should be an exception to the planetary bombardmment rule: Destruction and/or Liberation of Enemy Resources, the good old "If I can't have it, no one can." Tactic. Its a little bit of a desperate measure, but it should be leagal. Aside from that you're spot on.

Oh, and one more thing, My ships use hyperdrives. And they can be knocked out of hyperspace by a subspace barrier.
Perhaps our deep space battlezone should be a subspace-barrier-enclosed sector along a major trade route.

Eroomdivad wrote:
RichTheWolf257 wrote:
Ariklego wrote:

---OR---

Etc. and Soforth
Richie, I think you're better versed in eroomdivadian folklore than I am. Razz

Now, back to the point of this topic...

I reckon we go for the first option, and as you guys have said we have sub-topics for each area of the roleplay. Ie; The roleplay topic has a subforum 'Interstellar Warfare Roleplay' which then has topics like 'Leo System' (That's where Protomag is), 'Kilest Cluster' and 'Deep Space'. This would mean multiple planets would have to be put into one system (topic).
OR
If BiO doesn't mind us cluttering up his forums we could have a topic for each planet, which are sorted into systems.

I guess we'll see.
I think we should just sitck with one topic for each star system, one for each major region of the Kilest Cluster, and of any other star clusters brought into the game, And one for deepspace. It gets a little complicated when the space battles are over individual planets.
Back to top Go down
BiO
The Mecherator
BiO

Location : Richie is to exclamation marks what Bio is to ginger snaps.

Roleplay Setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roleplay Setup   Roleplay Setup Empty6/18/2012, 12:37 pm

As an alternative to making a new thread for every area you guys plan on fighting over, what if you had one overarching thread and only focused on one of those areas at a time? I know it doesn't sound as fun as fighting over multiple areas at the same time, but saving space in this section (and on the recent topics bar) is important.
Back to top Go down
Ariklego
Engineer
Engineer
Ariklego

Roleplay Setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roleplay Setup   Roleplay Setup Empty6/18/2012, 1:56 pm

BiO wrote:
As far as multiple topics goes, I'd prefer things to be as localized as possible, meaning the fewer threads, the better. I don't have much experience with sandbox roleplays; I'm more experienced with story-based ones, though I'm open to the idea of trying something more sandbox-y.

As far as rules go, I'll have to agree the simpler is better. However, you should be careful when assigning values to something like this; numerical-based roleplays have the tendency to get over-complicated pretty quickly.

Well, yeah, we're probably going to end up minimizing the number of topics we make to just a small few extra-generalized ones. if anything we'll just do a little trial-and-error and just adjust things as we go.
I'm not really sure about restricting battles to one at a time. I've seen firs-hand how helpful it can be to stage two separate attacks, one to draw an enemy away from a certain spot and leave it undefended. don't worry, I doubt anyone here uses Thrawn's wheels-within-wheels strategies, and I doubt it'll ever go beyond two or three different attacks at once.

you're probably right on the numerical values. we should probably just avoid that.

RichTheWolf257 wrote:
All those rules sound okay but i think there should be an exception to the planetary bombardmment rule: Destruction and/or Liberation of Enemy Resources, the good old "If I can't have it, no one can." Tactic. Its a little bit of a desperate measure, but it should be leagal. Aside from that you're spot on.

Oh, and one more thing, My ships use hyperdrives. And they can be knocked out of hyperspace by a subspace barrier.
Perhaps our deep space battlezone should be a subspace-barrier-enclosed sector along a major trade route.

that sounds okay, as long as there's a way to counter it. I'm just against Base Delta Zero operations where a fleet of ships wipes key targets off the face of an undefended planet or just turns the surface of the entire planet to slag. speaking of which, resources/unit production is something else that needs to be taken care of. (ugh, production... a roleplay's achilles heel...)

I don't really care what it is, as long as there's always a way to pull a ship back to sublight speeds. I'm not sure about having one spot that every trade route connects to, though. that'd just end up with each side constantly planting fleets there, and, depending on politics, could end up getting really hectic.
Back to top Go down
RichTheWolf257
Bronze Mechanier
RichTheWolf257

Roleplay Setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roleplay Setup   Roleplay Setup Empty6/18/2012, 2:38 pm

Ariklego wrote:
that sounds okay, as long as there's a way to counter it. I'm just against Base Delta Zero operations where a fleet of ships wipes key targets off the face of an undefended planet or just turns the surface of the entire planet to slag. speaking of which, resources/unit production is something else that needs to be taken care of. (ugh, production... a roleplay's achilles heel...)

I don't really care what it is, as long as there's always a way to pull a ship back to sublight speeds. I'm not sure about having one spot that every trade route connects to, though. that'd just end up with each side constantly planting fleets there, and, depending on politics, could end up getting really hectic.

OK Firstly i'm not understanding a word of your terminology; I've never heard of "Base Delta Zero" or "Wheels within Wheels" More importantly, though THere IS a way to counter planetary bombardment. Have defense fleets orbiting all of your most strategically planets, and a few backup fleets incase one of your undefended planets gets attacked. Or you could have light planetary sheilding (nothing impenetrable or big enough to cover the entire planet) And/or defense batteries (both ground and orbital) And as for that trade route thing, i was thinking of a single traderoute rather than whole bunch of them, but in either case it was only hypothetical. There's numerous possibilities for deep space battlezones.
Back to top Go down
Ariklego
Engineer
Engineer
Ariklego

Roleplay Setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roleplay Setup   Roleplay Setup Empty6/18/2012, 6:08 pm

RichTheWolf257 wrote:
OK Firstly i'm not understanding a word of your terminology; I've never heard of "Base Delta Zero" or "Wheels within Wheels" More importantly, though THere IS a way to counter planetary bombardment. Have defense fleets orbiting all of your most strategically planets, and a few backup fleets incase one of your undefended planets gets attacked. Or you could have light planetary sheilding (nothing impenetrable or big enough to cover the entire planet) And/or defense batteries (both ground and orbital) And as for that trade route thing, i was thinking of a single traderoute rather than whole bunch of them, but in either case it was only hypothetical. There's numerous possibilities for deep space battlezones.
Base Delta Zero is just a Star Wars term, referring to when a number of orbiting warships do a planet-wide orbital bombardment. he end result is that the surface of the planet is unstable and volcanic, the atmosphere ruined, and the world an unhospitable wasteland.

Wheels within wheels is a (real life) term that has to do with logic, sort of a reverse-psychology kind of a thing but taken to a greater extreme. I was referring to a number of strategies by Grand Admiral Thrawn, which usually involved first attacking one planet to draw the forces away from a second planet, then attacking the second planet as if the first was a decoy, when in fact both planets were decoys to draw forces away from a third planet where he would hit full-force. they were more extensive than that, but you get the idea.

anyway, my point was that basic defenses like those were sort of a given, but when they had lost those the location would be helpless to prevent an orbital bombardment. then the fleet would do an orbital bombardment and wipe out the enemy without a ground battle ever happening. I'm perfectly fine with everything as long as there's a way to keep them from blowing everything up from space without a fight on the ground.
Back to top Go down
RichTheWolf257
Bronze Mechanier
RichTheWolf257

Roleplay Setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roleplay Setup   Roleplay Setup Empty6/18/2012, 6:58 pm

Ariklego wrote:
RichTheWolf257 wrote:
Base Delta Zero is just a Star Wars term, referring to when a number of orbiting warships do a planet-wide orbital bombardment. he end result is that the surface of the planet is unstable and volcanic, the atmosphere ruined, and the world an unhospitable wasteland.

Wheels within wheels is a (real life) term that has to do with logic, sort of a reverse-psychology kind of a thing but taken to a greater extreme. I was referring to a number of strategies by Grand Admiral Thrawn, which usually involved first attacking one planet to draw the forces away from a second planet, then attacking the second planet as if the first was a decoy, when in fact both planets were decoys to draw forces away from a third planet where he would hit full-force. they were more extensive than that, but you get the idea.

anyway, my point was that basic defenses like those were sort of a given, but when they had lost those the location would be helpless to prevent an orbital bombardment. then the fleet would do an orbital bombardment and wipe out the enemy without a ground battle ever happening. I'm perfectly fine with everything as long as there's a way to keep them from blowing everything up from space without a fight on the ground.
I agree with you on the Delta Zero thing

As for Grand Admiral Trawn's Wheels Winthin Wheels, That sound lke something I would do

And on that final point, I'm glad we're on the same page.
Back to top Go down
Ariklego
Engineer
Engineer
Ariklego

Roleplay Setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roleplay Setup   Roleplay Setup Empty6/18/2012, 7:35 pm

RichTheWolf257 wrote:

As for Grand Admiral Trawn's Wheels Winthin Wheels, That sound lke something I would do

okay, one more issue I can think of. we probably need a realistic system of acquiring troops, ships, buildings, etc. based on resources, time, or both. any ideas on this?
Back to top Go down
RichTheWolf257
Bronze Mechanier
RichTheWolf257

Roleplay Setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roleplay Setup   Roleplay Setup Empty6/18/2012, 8:20 pm

Ariklego wrote:
RichTheWolf257 wrote:

okay, one more issue I can think of. we probably need a realistic system of acquiring troops, ships, buildings, etc. based on resources, time, or both. any ideas on this?
The instant I read that my mind drew a complete blank.

I'll get back to you.
Back to top Go down
Ariklego
Engineer
Engineer
Ariklego

Roleplay Setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roleplay Setup   Roleplay Setup Empty6/18/2012, 11:44 pm

RichTheWolf257 wrote:

I'll get back to you.
yeah, me too. Razz so we'll deal with that a little later.

other things... umm, maps? I have to say I really like the idea of having tactical maps so we can keep an idea of where are troops and things are actually located. however, I'm not sure how detailed they should be. I DEFINITELY don't want something as big and hard on my computer as the TCS's maps, and I don't really like the idea of having miniature models of all my vehicles to do it all, except maybe in space battles.

also, assuming we make them in LDD (which seems like kind of a given), how will we all have the link to the map? MOCpages?
Back to top Go down
RichTheWolf257
Bronze Mechanier
RichTheWolf257

Roleplay Setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roleplay Setup   Roleplay Setup Empty6/19/2012, 1:04 am

Ariklego wrote:
RichTheWolf257 wrote:

I'll get back to you.

other things... umm, maps? I have to say I really like the idea of having tactical maps so we can keep an idea of where are troops and things are actually located. however, I'm not sure how detailed they should be. I DEFINITELY don't want something as big and hard on my computer as the TCS's maps, and I don't really like the idea of having miniature models of all my vehicles to do it all, except maybe in space battles.

also, assuming we make them in LDD (which seems like kind of a given), how will we all have the link to the map? MOCpages?
Definitly NOT TCS maps. I'm done with that. I think the maps should be small enough so as not to stress our computers but still pretty large so as to incorporate a sufficient degree of detail. Aside from that, the question will be more of scale than size. And of course, the maps will have to be made available on MOCPages.

For space battles, however, no maps will be nesessary except for pre-battle strategic and navigational purposes.

Once again, it has become very late, and I can barely type anymore.
--Cheers!
Back to top Go down
Ariklego
Engineer
Engineer
Ariklego

Roleplay Setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roleplay Setup   Roleplay Setup Empty6/19/2012, 12:16 pm

RichTheWolf257 wrote:
Ariklego wrote:
RichTheWolf257 wrote:

I'll get back to you.

Definitly NOT TCS maps. I'm done with that. I think the maps should be small enough so as not to stress our computers but still pretty large so as to incorporate a sufficient degree of detail. Aside from that, the question will be more of scale than size. And of course, the maps will have to be made available on MOCPages.

For space battles, however, no maps will be nesessary except for pre-battle strategic and navigational purposes.

--Cheers!
Yep. as to scale, it needs to be large enough so we can mark the positions of our units with something, but small enough that we can still get sufficiently large enough maps. probably if we marked our Mechs with 1x1 stud pieces or something (and for infantry we could probably have pegs or other bricks marking squads), everything would turn out nicely as far as size goes. if we relied on something besides building the entire map out of 1x1 stud plates (Razz), we ought to be able to get some rather extensive maps that still aren't too hard on our computers. it'd also be pretty easy to incorporate things like buildings and scenery.

and yeah, space isn't terribly full of detailed things to build. Razz I think the key thing we'll be working on is the ships themselves (and I don't want to use full-size ships, and probably not stud-size models either like for ground battles). of course, making sure our ships are on the same scale may be tricky... occasionally we'll also need to worry about things like asteroids and space stations and such.

by the way, why do you keep staying up until eleven to reply to me? Razz I wasn't even awake when you typed that. Razz
Back to top Go down
RichTheWolf257
Bronze Mechanier
RichTheWolf257

Roleplay Setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roleplay Setup   Roleplay Setup Empty6/19/2012, 4:50 pm

Ariklego wrote:
RichTheWolf257 wrote:
Ariklego wrote:
RichTheWolf257 wrote:

I'll get back to you.

--Cheers!
Yep. as to scale, it needs to be large enough so we can mark the positions of our units with something, but small enough that we can still get sufficiently large enough maps. probably if we marked our Mechs with 1x1 stud pieces or something (and for infantry we could probably have pegs or other bricks marking squads), everything would turn out nicely as far as size goes. if we relied on something besides building the entire map out of 1x1 stud plates (Razz), we ought to be able to get some rather extensive maps that still aren't too hard on our computers. it'd also be pretty easy to incorporate things like buildings and scenery.

and yeah, space isn't terribly full of detailed things to build. Razz I think the key thing we'll be working on is the ships themselves (and I don't want to use full-size ships, and probably not stud-size models either like for ground battles). of course, making sure our ships are on the same scale may be tricky... occasionally we'll also need to worry about things like asteroids and space stations and such.

by the way, why do you keep staying up until eleven to reply to me? Razz I wasn't even awake when you typed that. Razz

Well, now that we have that figured out, I'm going to work on rules for developing resources and building units.
Back to top Go down
Ariklego
Engineer
Engineer
Ariklego

Roleplay Setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roleplay Setup   Roleplay Setup Empty6/19/2012, 5:16 pm

alrighty. I think I'll try to make sort of a quick test map to test our idea out.

a fairly simple scenario, one side has a big base, some different defenses like turrets and stuff, and a garrison of Mechs and other vehicles. the other side will have dropships land their troops and vehicles and will have to capture the base.

a few other things that I thought of for the whole thing. one, how will fighter/starfighter battles operate?

two, I had sort of an idea for those of us that couldn't or didn't really want to make our own troops and Mechs and stuff. for example, I expect Bio will mostly just have mini-Mechs built, and will be at a disadvantage against any non-infantry (medium, heavy, and superheavy Mechs, MBSs, tanks, etc.). I can't really see him building a superheavy. Thomas Z is probably going to rely entirely on Gundams, and without infantry and lighter vehicles won't be able to do some things. (how is he going to raid a building?)
so, what if we had everyone tag in and contribute some of their decent (not their worst, but not their best either) Mechs for use by such individuals. what do you think?
Back to top Go down
RichTheWolf257
Bronze Mechanier
RichTheWolf257

Roleplay Setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roleplay Setup   Roleplay Setup Empty6/19/2012, 6:53 pm

Ariklego wrote:
alrighty. I think I'll try to make sort of a quick test map to test our idea out.

a fairly simple scenario, one side has a big base, some different defenses like turrets and stuff, and a garrison of Mechs and other vehicles. the other side will have dropships land their troops and vehicles and will have to capture the base.

a few other things that I thought of for the whole thing. one, how will fighter/starfighter battles operate?

two, I had sort of an idea for those of us that couldn't or didn't really want to make our own troops and Mechs and stuff. for example, I expect Bio will mostly just have mini-Mechs built, and will be at a disadvantage against any non-infantry (medium, heavy, and superheavy Mechs, MBSs, tanks, etc.). I can't really see him building a superheavy. Thomas Z is probably going to rely entirely on Gundams, and without infantry and lighter vehicles won't be able to do some things. (how is he going to raid a building?)
so, what if we had everyone tag in and contribute some of their decent (not their worst, but not their best either) Mechs for use by such individuals. what do you think?
I Like that idea! You and Chunk would probably have the most to contribute, though. I'll build export variants of my Colony Ships, Mining Transports, and Light Starfighters. The Transports and Colony Ships, of course, will be Combat-Enabled, replacing their ore crates and garden domes, respectively, with weapon emplacements.

I look foward to our test-battle. Except that i don't have any Dropships...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Roleplay Setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roleplay Setup   Roleplay Setup Empty

Back to top Go down

Roleplay Setup
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next